2019 Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage
Buy your tickets now for this year's Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage featuring Charles County, Maryland
Time: 10 a.m. - 5 p.m.
The information center is located at the Port Tobacco Historic Village - Historic Stagg Hall, 8450 Commerce St., Port Tobacco.
Sites included on this year’s tour:
1. Stagg Hall – the eighteenth-century home of John Parnham, a prosperous Port Tobacco Merchant.
2. Port Tobacco Courthouse – a replica of the town’s 1800s courthouse and centerpiece of historic Port Tobacco.
3. Burch House – one of the earliest examples of an original two-room plan in Charles County.
4. Mulberry Grove – built on the site of John Hanson’s birthplace. John Hanson served as the sheriff of Charles County, a member of the Maryland General Assembly, and the first
President of the Continental Congress.
5. Ellerslie – erected on property belonging to Daniel of St. Thomas Jenifer who served as the first President of the Maryland State Senate and represented Maryland in the
6. Habre de Venture – the home of Thomas Stone, one of 56 signers of the United States Declaration of Independence.
7. Friendship House – a fine example of early tidewater architecture and one of Charles County’s oldest houses.
8. Bowling-Hurley House – an impeccably maintained Georgian Colonial house comprising over 8,000 feet of living space.
Each site will feature floral designs created by members of The Charles County Garden Club, Hughesville Garden Club, and the Society for the Restoration of Port Tobacco.
In addition, several of the sites will offer special programming throughout the day. For example, at Mulberry Grove, Charles County native, Jim Berry, will discuss the plants that grow in the Port Tobacco and homeowner, Jay Lilly, will tell visitors about John Hanson and his significance to Maryland and the United States.
Tickets are $40 the day of the tour or they can be ordered in advance for $35 at www.mhgp.org.
A delicious box lunch (including drink and dessert) will be available at the Port Tobacco Courthouse, between 11 a.m to 3 p.m. The cost is $13 per person. To place your order in advance and guarantee availability, please mail your lunch check payable to: St. Thomas Parish - Attention: M.H.G.P. Lunch Reservation; 14300 St. Thomas Road; Upper
Marlboro, MD 20772. Please indicate: Turkey, Ham Salad, Chicken Salad, or Veggie.