On Tuesday, May 15, the Charles County Commissioners adopted a balanced General Fund budget of $404,659,200 for fiscal 2019, an increase of 3.4 percent from the previous year. For the fifth consecutive year, the budget was balanced without raising property and income tax rates. The adopted budget protects core services, invests in education and public safety priorities, and incorporates efficiencies in county operations.
“I am pleased that the Board of Commissioners has been able to hold the line on the tax rates while continuing to deliver the high-quality services our community expects and deserves,” said Commissioner President Peter F. Murphy. “Our fiscally-responsible choices have resulted in a balanced budget that will be sustainable in the future.”
- $6.49 million increase for Charles County Public Schools, to fund a step increase and other enhanced employee compensation measures to support staff recruitment and retention.
- $2.96 million increase for the Sheriff’s Office, to fund increased compensation for employees, hire additional deputies and correctional officers, two new forensic examiners, and a new public safety strategic plan.
- $2.84 million increase for County Government operations, to fund increased compensation for employees, and hire staff to open the new Waldorf Senior and Recreational Facility.
- Real property tax rate is maintained at $1.141 for County Government and $0.064 for Fire and Rescue per $100 of assessed value.
- $457.5 million allocated for the five-year capital improvement program (fiscal years 2019-23) to pay for enhanced school security, construction of a new school, upgrading the county’s 9-1-1 system and investments in new or improved assets including roads, parks, water and sewer infrastructure, and other public facilities.
“I am grateful for the dedication and collaboration of our Directors and staff, County Commissioners, and our partnering agencies for their efforts to develop a balanced budget that reflects our community’s priorities,” said County Administrator Michael D. Mallinoff, Esq., ICMA-CM. “We look forward to the opportunity to continue working together to manage our resources effectively and maintain the quality of life our community values here in Charles County.”
The adopted fiscal 2019 budget details are available online at www.CharlesCountyMD.gov/budgetprocess.
For More Information:
Commissioners meetings are aired on CCGTV, which broadcasts on Comcast channel 95 and Verizon channel 10, and are available for streaming at www.CharlesCountyMD.gov/media-services/ccgtv/ccgtv. Materials and minutes of the Commissioners meeting will be posted at www.boarddocs.com/md/chrlsco/Board.nsf/Public upon approval.
About Charles County Government
The mission of Charles County Government is to provide our citizens the highest quality service possible in a timely, efficient and courteous manner. To achieve this goal, our government must be operated in an open and accessible atmosphere, be based on comprehensive long- and short-term planning and have an appropriate managerial organization tempered by fiscal responsibility. We support and encourage efforts to grow a diverse workplace. Charles County is a place where all people thrive, and businesses grow and prosper; where the preservation of our heritage and environment is paramount; where government services to its citizens are provided at the highest level of excellence; and where the quality of life is the best in the nation.
It is the policy of Charles County to provide equal employment opportunity to all persons regardless of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religious or political affiliation or opinion, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity or expression, or any other status protected by law.